During a global health crisis, it’s vital that we all pull together to get through. One small way of doing this is by understanding how to keep clean and safe to prevent the spread of infection.
The NHS is working tirelessly to keep the ones we love healthy, therefore we should do our bit to prevent the slightest spread of germs and the virus. One of the best ways to do this is to wash your hands regularly.
After being at the supermarket, in the car, or just every hour or so we should make sure we clean our hands so we’re not picking up any unwanted germs and spreading them.
To ensure that we are not spreading our germs to vulnerable people, it’s crucial we understand how to thoroughly wash our hands:
- Wet your hands with warm water.
- Apply 1 or 2 pumps of soap to clean your hands effectively. If you’re using a bar, lather your hands until soapy.
- Rub your hands together to cover all areas of your hands.
- Use one of your hands to scrub the back of your other hand and visa versa. Don’t forget areas like in between the fingers, a hotspot for unwanted germs!
- Rub the tips of your fingers onto your hand to ensure that no germs are left there. Don’t forget to clean under the nails! (A good way to do this is by using a nail brush).
- If you have any rings make sure you scrub underneath them or take them off so that no germs can be left to build up.
- Remember to clean up your wrists too! This will ensure that you’ve thoroughly cleaned everywhere which might’ve been contaminated.
- Rinse your hands with water and make sure all soap is washed off.
- Dry your hands with a clean towel.
Enter our exciting competition to Win an Eco-friendly Household Items Bundle, including sustainable washing up products so you can ensure your home is clean and safe whilst social distancing!
Want to teach your children the importance of washing their hands regularly? Take out 10 minutes of your day and get the family around the kitchen table to enjoy a fun, educational, yet crucial experiment, showcasing not only how germs react to hand washing, but how they react to not handwashing!
What you’ll need:
- 1 Bowl
- Black Pepper
- Liquid Soap
Let’s get started:
First of all, get the bowl and fill it with water.
Sprinkle in the pepper until most of the water surface is covered.
Ask the children to stick their finger in the water… what happens? The pepper sticks to their finger!
Now, imagine that the black pepper is harmful germs. This is what happens when you don’t use soap to wash your hands!
Next, wipe away the pepper on the end of the child’s finger and ask them to put the liquid soap all over the tip of their finger.
Now immerse their finger in the water and see what happens!
The pepper rushes to the edges of the bowl… this shows how soap deflects germs and will help children to understand why it’s crucial we use soap, especially during a virus outbreak.
If you want to learn more or enter other competitions, visit Snizl.
One reply on “How to stay clean during a health crisis – with proof!”
Fantastic, Amazing clarity x